Thursday, March 1, 2012
25 Things I want my son to know as he grows!
3. Don't be afraid to stand out and be you!
- You are an idividual, not a clone of other people, please act as such. Stand up for what you believe in, follow your own dreams no matter what others try to say, find your own passions, like what YOU like, and most of all don't let others define you! True strong men are ones who lived their own life and never let anyone tell them who to be! Never follow the crowd just to be "one of the guys". Whether you are popular, or the "nerd", or whatever anyone else says about you, you are YOU and that is the greatest gift of all!
4. In a relationship you are only as strong as your other half!
- Your partner is your best friend, your equal. You should always treat them as that. Never put them down, never underestimate them, never take them for granted. Hold them up when they are falling, believe in them and their dreams, be their strength, and most of all love them with all your heart! Being compassionate and loving to them makes you a better man!
5. Accept others.
- There will always be people different than you. Hopefully throughout life I have taught you that there is nothing wrong with different. No matter who the person is, accept them, know that they too are creations of God and never judge them. This can be hard, but know that you will live life more fully if you accept the differences!
6. Be creative!
- As long as you are respecting others and their possessions feel free to create art of your choosing! Following your creativity will lead you to great places in life and will ever expand your mind. You are never too old for creativity!
7. Enjoy nature.
- Go outside! You live in a beautiful world, take the time to see it! The small things make the world beautiful, never overlook the small pebbles, or the ripples it makes when you toss it in the water. Sit and watch the clouds go by, or go crazy and rock climb or go rafting! Just do it safely and enjoy the time!
8. Be a kid!
- Run, jump, play, get dirty, explore, even dig a hole to try to find China! Have fun and enjoy your youth!
9. Be a good brother, friend, and protector.
- There are people who depend on you and who love you. Your sister will always be your sister, and there will be times she needs you, be there for her. Family is the most important thing, they will be there for you when the world has turned its back on you, please never forget about them, and always protect them when you can! You are a superhero to some!
10. Please wear your clothing appropriately.
- They say clothes make the man, so dress for who you want to be! Please never wear your pants around your knees, and please don't wear vulgar sayings on shirts. Its not attractive, or "cool". Feel free to express yourself but do so appropriately.
11. Take care of the Earth.
- Its not just a trend to be "green", we should all do our part. This is the only planet we have and you live here, take care of it.
12. You are a genious.
- Never quit learning, your potential is limitless, and you can do anything you set your mind to.
13. Know that some rules were not made to be broken!
- There are times when its ok to follow your own rules, but some rules should always be followed! There are rules you may not like but they were put in place to protect you and others, please think carefully before you act.
14. You will always be my son!
- No matter where you go or who you are with you are my son and I will always be there for you! I will always love you even if you make wrong choices. I'll be there to offer support and advice and to be a shoulder to cry on. I will always believe in you! I will always want the best for you. I will drive you crazy at times, but i hurt when you hurt and cry when you cry, and no matter what you will always have someone who loves you, and I hope our bond grows stronger and stronger!
15. Its ok to make mistakes.
- Its how we learn. Don't be afraid of mistakes just make sure you learn from them.
16. Be a man of God.
- You are a miracle, sent to us from God. Always praise him and live your life for him. If you live for Him life becomes more clear.
17. Be careful of what you put out there.
- In this technology filled age its easy to get in trouble. Be careful of anything you send to people, unless you want the world to see it don't send it. Its easy to be careful if you take the time to think, and please please please never get involved in "sexting".
18. There are no jobs that should be left as "woman's work"
- Yes you are a boy, but that doesn't mean you don't need to do laundry, dishes, vaccuum, cook, clean, grocery shop, sew, or take care of the kids (when one day you have them). You are capable of doing these for yourself, and its ok to do them. There is nothing un-manly about it, in fact you will be greatly appreciated for it, and I'm sure your future wife thanks me already for teaching you this!
19. Tattoos are ok, but think!
- Tattoos are permanent, think long and hard about it before you get one! I don't want you waking up one day with a name or picture that haunts you forever.
20. There is no shame in asking for help.
- We all need a helping hand sometimes, don't be afraid to ask if you need it. This includes asking for directions before you get entirely lost!
21. Your penis is not a toy.
-Use it responsibly. I do want grandkids one day but please do it under planned circumstances. You are responsible for your actions.
22. Keep moving forward.
- Sometimes in life you may feel like you are in a rut and are going nowhere, but know it is your choice to keep moving. Keep pushing and you will go far!
- You want to take a summer road trip to see the country? by all means, take the car and explore, but do so responsibly! Soar through the world and enjoy it! But just know, I do not want to have to come see you in the hospital!
24. Always say thank you.
- Others will help and guide you throughout your life. Teachers included. Always say thank you to those who help you! And forgive those who do you wrong.
25. You can always come home, no matter where you are in life.
- I will be here, always. I love you!